Geology Animations, Interactive Exercises, and now... Songs!
Songs! Here is a new page with a student-crafted songs about volcanoes and climate change, in MP3 format. Paul's Favorite Student Volcano Songs
Flash! Here are direct links to several cool interactive physical geology topics. You might need the Macromedia Flash or Shockwave browser plug-in (free) to see them:
- Rock Cycle Animation: including photos and descriptions
- Mineral Animation: including 3D models and good descriptions of mineral properties
- Igneous Rocks Animation: with textures and compositions
- Weathering Animation: physical and chemical mechanisms explained and illustrated
- Sedimentary Rocks Animation: from depositional environments to texture and composition
- Metamorphic Rocks Animation: with facies and relationship to plate tectonics
- Faults and Folds Animation: elastic, brittle, ductile strain, and relationship to tectonic stresses
- Earth Structure Animation: what we know about the mantle and core from earthquake seismology
- Plate Tectonics Animation: with an interactive map, volcanoes, quakes, rates of plate motion
- Groundwater Animation: with seasonally fluctuating ground water levels
- River Flood Animation: with watersheds, discharge, hydrographs, and flood control methods
- Mass Movement Animation: covering mechanisms and an interactive landslide game
- Glacier Animation: accumulation, ablation, and glacial landscape evolution
- Shorelines Animation: coastal erosion, longshore drift, engineering methods (from www.ck12.org)
- Educational Resources for K-16
These modules were originally developed by Smoothstone (RIP) for Houghton Mifflin Company.
They are shown here for promotional purposes courtesy of Houghton Mifflin.
© 2001 - 2002 Houghton Mifflin Company